Friday, April 4, 2014

Nindot

Katawo nga gihigugma nako,

Life is good. The Lord is good. Prayer is great. Balamban is the best! 

We're enjoying life here a lot. Sis. C is on fire! To quote the district, she came pre-trained! Obviously, she's better than I am at the language, so I do my best to teach doctrine, and I do know people are feeling the spirit, and then Sis. C explains it in the way that makes sense to them. I feel like it's this extra step that gets things into their hearts, not just unto their hearts. She's also one of those really fun, talented, good at everything, life of the party kind of people. I'm grateful and I get to learn.
Also, she's an amazing cook. I haven't really had Filipino food immersion yet- but this girl eats rice everyday now! And dried fish heads and salted egg and adobo and sayote and mongoes and things I don't know names of, but I'll learn to cook.

This week has been full of miracles! 

Yesterday, Sis. C ended up with a migraine (even for Filipinos, the heat of working takes some adjusting) and so we had to come home for a little bit. I was so impressed because as soon as she could, she sprang up and we went out to work. We had to change some plans, and we ended up at a less active who we hadn't visited in 2 or 3 months- not really progressing, having a hard time with having enough faith. Dear Sis. Calatrava looked so hunched over and burdened by her load. She was just looking down. But we sat down on the benches, and with all sorts of loud motorcycles and sikads driving by, we taught her. It was one of those times that the words simply came, not from me because I'm good at this, because I have so much left to learn, but because Heavenly Father loves his children. We talked about bearing our burdens, and Sis. Calatrava really understood. Her whole countenance got really light, and finally by the end, she cracked a little bit of a smile. The problems of looking for dinner, and caring for her disabled son, and worrying about her daughter are still there, but she could smile. Her prayer was so sincere. The best part for me though, was watching Sis. C testify of the strength we can get to do things that are hard. She said it, and then paused, and then said it again, because she felt it- even though the first week of a mission is hard, she can do it. We're so lucky as missionaries, because usually we learn just as much as the people we teach.

On Sunday night, no one seemed to be in their homes, and I didn't quite know where to go (I've noticed that this is usually when my best stories happen :)) But we walked out of this little neighborhood and a nice Nanay called us over. Turns out, she was the former investigator we were looking for, who'd just gotten back from her brother's funeral. He's a stake president on another island, and she had been filled with the spirit. She has lots of questions and she sees the strength of the family that is in the church. She's not sure if she can make the journey into the church, but I know we can do anything! We're going to keep praying for Sis. Ymelda.

We were teaching Ardgie- the 13 year old who'll be baptized as soon as we get an interview with Pres. Schmutz. We asked him to describe how he feels when he prays. He thought about it for a long time and couldn't quite come up with something. His 8 year old cousin Samuel who was raised in the church could come up with things, like - I feel light, and I feel love, but Ardgie couldn't quite articulate it. We talked about that a little, and eventually he found his answer. 

When I pray, I feel nindot. 
Nindot is the jack of all trades word- it means cool, neat, nice, beautiful- anything positive. I say that lots of things are nindot, because I love to have a positive attitude. Sis. C actually uses English words to be more expressive- so everything is Amazing and Enticing and So interesting! But family, prayer is nindot. It's nindot kaayo.

Also, we walked in the jungle and a woman calls out :"We like you. Come!" So we taught them a lesson. Not very common, but hey, someone likes us!

I hope your week is also nindot, because I love you all very much. You are blessings in my life, and I couldn't be more grateful.

Keep doing good things, keep trying harder tomorrow.


( I've been just making up all of these closing lines- people don't actually write letters in Visaya, or they finish in English, but I asked Sis. C what's a normal Filipino sign off, and this was her answer- "It means like, you're giving them power in their lives"- so take some power today everyone!)

God bless and more power,

Sister Tueller

No comments:

Post a Comment