Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Hope Becomes That Light

Tawo nako sa kahangturan,
I've learned a lot this week. First, the Book of Mormon teaches me what to improve every single day. The spirit touches different parts of my brain and gives little strokes of understanding, and guides me as I write revelation, and I always leave a little reprimanded for my weaknesses, but a better person. That is not just a book, but it is the fullness of the everlasting gospel. Where are you all reading? What's changing you today?
Second, I have bad news, so we'll get it out of the way. Sis. Sally has disappeared. She left all of a sudden and is gone, not answering calls or anything. She apparently left early Sunday morning, so we found out when she didn't show up to church. It's been hard.I managed not to cry in front of everyone, but it's not easy.  I learned to love her so much- I believe in miracles of the disciple variety because of Sis. Sally. So I am grateful that I had the chance to teach her, and that I have a companion who feels the same way who I can rely on.
The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.

Onto happier news:
I love Sis. Luyong. I don't know when you're all going to get to meet her, but you should. She is so wonderful, and still working on all her weaknesses, even when I can't even see a weakness there. She sings constantly and is probably the most diligent selfless missionary that I know. 

A nice bright moment: yesterday, we went through a big list of people and no one seemed to be home. Of course, we don't get discouraged, but we were a little bit at a loss. So we decided to pray and ask for help/encouragement/guidance. But before we could even say "Amahan sa Langit" we look down the road a little bit. We hear a bell ringing and see Ronico coming down the little rocky path with his ice cream bicycle. That place isn't his route, but Heavenly Father put him there to cheer us up, and bring us Mango ice cream.
Brother Jun Caballero is doing great. His 18 year old daughter LynLyn is the sweetest and she wants nothing more than to be sealed in the temple with their family. So she buys him candy instead of his cigarettes and is bold enough to tell him to stop. She got really discouraged yesterday, because his quitting is a slow process, but we taught, his wife shared what she'd learned from the BOM and LynLyn sat there and said, He can do it! Brother set a goal to be completely smoke free by Saturday and we know he can do it!
Also, Bro Buen is completely cigarette free. He wasn't last week, but after a lesson on Thursday about our choices here on earth, he completely stopped. He has a fever right now, and it might be a side affect, but he smiles through it all. This 60 year old man has nothing left of his former life, nothing in terms of the world, but I can see the light and happiness in him.

More happenings: I gave an impromptu talk!

We spend lots of time at the bus terminal figuring out travel for next week, going to zone conference 5 hours away in Dumaguete.

We met Brother Buen's nephew and his boarder and both committed to be baptized. We taught the apostasy and then asked, "So it was lost, where do you think the true church is now?" Jerome, the boarder, starts thinking really hard and says, "It's by that place... (we're really scared he's going to describe the location of the Catholic church).. Um, I forget Sisters... " Sis Luyong says, "Endrina St?(that's where the church is)" Jerome: Yeah, I think so, I'm still new here, but if that's the Mormon Church, then yep, that one!" I'm not quite sure what's going on with Jerome, he avoided us the other day, so maybe it won't be an eternity miracle, but it was certainly a miracle for the day- and really really funny.
That's all for now folks, I promise better interesting details on another day- we found a couple of really great families this week, and I'm so excited. San Carlos is changing me daily and I stand in awe and gratitude for the miracle of Jesus Christ. This work is the pinakabest!
Have hope, gather yourself and Israel, feast on his bread, seek hot coals of cleansing,
And Nahigugma ko ninyo!
Sister Tueller

No comments:

Post a Comment